My war with morbid obesity started in high school and got progressively worse until 2001 when I reached my heaviest weight at 486 pounds. I was insulin resistant, had severe sleep apnea, and developed osteoarthritis in both knees and in my back.
After fighting with the insurance company for a couple of years, my doctors were finally able to convince them to pay for gastric bypass surgery which I had in December of 2001, with complications. Initially, I lost about 200 pounds, gained almost 100 of it back, lost most of that and have kept it off for about a year. Thankfully, I am no longer insulin resistant and I no longer suffer from sleep apnea.
My biggest challenges will be my arthritis and my love of food. No more ignoring the pain from arthritis. As for my love of food… as with every challenge… one day and one decision at a time.
Yes, that's me in 2001. It's very hard to look at but it motivates me.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you for taking on this big challenge. I have always thought of you as a strong and positive person. Good luck!
ReplyDelete